Friday, July 8, 2011

Superficial Wounds



Women have a tendency to look at themselves in a critical way.  We look in the mirror and see every wrinkle, bump and lump that is out of place.  We see where our skin used to be smooth and taut.  We see our hair getting limp, fine and lacking in its original luster.  We see where our children have permanently left their mark on us before they were even born. 


The sad truth is that a lot of women actually have the audacity to look at OTHER women in that same critical way.  We can see a woman and pick apart her outfit, her hair color and her makeup in seconds.  Let's not even discuss what we think about their comfortable shoes or their 6 year old purse that was purchased at Walmart.


My question is... WHY?  Why do we care what others choose to wear?  Why would I care how you would choose to wear your hair?  Your favorite color is purple and so you want purple streaks in your hair... should I care about that?  Does it personally affect me?  Can I somehow find it offensive if you decide not to update your closet with brand new clothing every season?


I'm not just picking on women... Men are just as bad.  No guys, you're not off the hook here.


Now don't get mad at me yet.  I'm not talking about the few of you that enjoy all aspects of fashion.  By all means, have a blast with it.  I'm also not talking about letting yourself go to the point of not using soap or laundry detergent.  I hope you recognize what I'm talking about here.  I'm talking about shallow, superficial ignorance that can cause severe damage.  When these judgments and comments come out of your mouth, they can leave wounds that can take years to heal...and some never really do. 


Just because these wounds are about superficial things does NOT mean they are superficial wounds.  They go deep and can cause a lot of damage. 


Have you ever met a really attractive person only to be completely disgusted by them when you get to know them?  In turn, have you ever met a "homely" person only to discover later that they are honestly one of the most beautiful people you've ever met?  Yeah, me too.



1 Peter 3:3-4
 Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.




I challenge you to look beyond appearances.  I challenge ME to look beyond appearances.



No comments:

Post a Comment